Want to Be a Meditating Mamma?

Meditation has transformed my life. I know that's a pretty weighty claim. And it's the truth. My regular meditation practice has had THE most positive and profound impact on my life and my personal wellbeing. And I do a lot of work on myself, through many modalities. Yet, over and over again, I am blown away by the significant benefits of such a simple practice. I know, it seems too easy and yet at the same time so very difficult, if not impossible. We are too busy. What mom has time to meditate? If you ask me, what mom doesn't?

That is, if she wants to remain calm, present, joyful and at peace in her busy life with the myriad of demands, irritations, and snafus that it brings. Let's be honest, we make time for what really matters, like watching our favorite shows, checking Facebook, reading our emails, texting, and surfing the net. And I understand. We need time to check out, to relax, to distract ourselves. But we also need time to check in. I promise, making an investment in a regular mediation practice will change your life in ways you never thought possible. It is like the parting of the red sea. It truly brings about miraculous results, in ways that I cannot explain. You have to experience it to know it. You have to feel it to believe it. But it does take some effort. I'm not going to beat around the bush about that. But maybe, not quite as much effort, as you may think.

To reap the physical benefits of meditation you need only invest 20 minutes a day, three times a week. And this can be broken up into two 10-minute periods, especially when first getting started. There have been experiments that show that investing a mere 60-minutes a week improves the autoimmune system and the central nervous system, helping to fight disease and ward off hypertension, not to mention stress and anxiety.

And there are profound effects beyond the physical. Those are great, don't get me wrong. None of us want anxiety, illness, high blood pressure, stress related aches and pains, or digestive issues. But it's the presence, the peace of mind, and the ability to not get so caught up all the time that keeps me hooked. The ability to let go and let be, I'd say, is the greatest reward.

Meditation helps me to acknowledge and accept the simple, yet profound truth, that life is change. Nothing stays the same for very long. And this truth can be as relieving as it is disheartening, depending one where you are. There are no absolutes and nothing remains as it is in this very moment. Our children will grow up, our relationships will evolve, we will grow older, the seasons will change, and so will the earth. In the same way, by observing my mind through meditation, I see the constant changing nature of my thoughts, emotions, and bodily sensations. Nothing about me stays the same either. And that can be good news or bad news, depending on where I am at that moment. Or maybe, just maybe, I can learn to let go of the judgments and the stories, and just be with what is. Meditation helps me to do that. And when I am able to be with what is, without my stories and judgments, I can see clearly. A fresh perspective emerges. And from there I can choose to respond, in a beneficial and productive way, rather than reacting through the lens of my past and my habitual patterns.

I really could go on all day describing the benefits of meditation. But words alone cannot do justice. One must experience it and, more importantly, all of the benefits that a regular practice brings to day-to-day life. Because although the time spent in meditation can often be really enjoyable (after getting over the initial discomfort and settling in, both in single session, and over time) it is the personal transformation that takes place in experiencing life that really makes the difference. So I invite you to try it and here are some helpful tips to get you started and keep you going.

You CAN meditate.

If you can breath, you can meditate. Don't worry about getting it right. Just do it. I can't begin to tell you the number of people that have told me they can't meditate. They aren't doing it right. The thoughts just keep coming and cannot be stilled. That's okay. Actually, that's the point. In the same way the lungs must breath, the brain must think. That is simply what the brain does. If your lungs aren't breathing, and your brain isn't thinking, you probably aren't alive. Both are vital functions. The real opportunity lies not in stopping thought, but rather in observing it, getting to know it a little better. Becoming aware of its nature and befriending it. That way you don't have to be so swept away or caught up by whatever random thought happens to pop into your head in a given moment. You gain awareness, that this is just what the mind does. And with awareness comes choice. You always have a choice. You don't have to become carried away with negative thoughts and excessive rumination. You can choose to let them go, in a friendly, gentle, and loving way. Meditation practice trains you to be able to let them go.

Comments

Popular Posts